10 Top Tips for your First Ski Trip
1. Bring sun cream – Chances are it will be pretty cold during your ski holiday. However you will still return with a sun tan as the European Alps see a lot of sunshine during the winter, particularly in March and April. The rays are also stronger at altitude and are intensified as they reflect off the snow.
2. Bring fancy dress – We love dressing up in the Alps – the more ridiculous the outfit the better. If you don’t have space in your 20kg of luggage then Retro Rentals in Morzine have a teleportation machine to take you back to the 1980s. Click here to check them out.
3. Get in shape – Although you won’t be hitting the double black diamonds on your first ski trip it is a good idea to do a few ski related exercises before you arrive in the Alps. Pilates is great for your core stability which is hugely important for skiing.
4. Ski hard play hard – We also like to party in the Alps – Apres Ski drinks begin mid-afternoon which largely comprise of music your mother has not heard of and dancing on tables. Le Tremplin is a big favourite in Morzine which is located at the bottom of Le Pleney ski slope, as is The Tibetan Cafe in Morzine town centre.
5. Book ski / snowboard lessons – You will learn more quickly as a beginner than at any stage of your skiing progression. It’s super important that you learn the correct technique from the start. It will make skiing more enjoyable and also reduce the risk of injury. There are a number of ski schools in Morzine and Le Grand Massif that offer flexible lesson times to suit your requirements. Click here for more information.
6. Bring swimming trunks – There is a state of the art swimming complex in the middle of Morzine which is not to be missed. There is a 25 metre indoor pool and wellness centre comprising of a number of saunas and 2 big steam rooms. It is a great way to relax after a tough day on the slopes. However you must remember that you are in France so swimming shorts are not allowed – only speedos!
7. Listen to your Chalet Host’s welcome speech – If you are staying in one of our catered ski chalets in either Morzine or Le Grand Massif your host will have a chat with you after dinner on arrival day. They will pass on loads of helpful information to make your ski holiday more enjoyable. Be sure to pick their brains about what’s going on in town – they are really knowledgable and are there to help!
9. Watch epic ski videos on Youtube – Are you sitting in the office and can’t quite imagine what it feels like to wake up in the Alps for your first blue bird powder day? Type in ‘Powder Day’ into Youtube and see what you come up with. Alternatively just watch this video:
10. Relax! – You might be a bit anxious about what to expect out here in the Alps. Always remember that you are on holiday and everyone is here to have a great time. If you love it then you will be set up for an amazing and utterly unique holiday for the rest of your life!
Still not sure whether you want to do a season this winter?? It’s not too late! Click here for more information on Morzine and click here for more information on Le Grand Massif to see if these two incredible ski resorts tickle your fancy.